3/23/08

My Story

Well, the twisted fairy tale is no longer a joint effort. I'll be going this one alone. It came at a good time though because I've been waiting for a Tanner chapter from Rich for over a month now. Due to recent events, I doubt he's thinking much about writing at all these days. Sucks too cause that one is only 3 or 4 chapters away from completion and the way we write, that means we could (in theory) finish it in only 3 or 4 days if we just sat down and wrote the thing. But alas, it is what it is. Days become weeks become months and I still have no chapter. The twisted fairy tale was to be a side project to keep me busy while waiting for my unmotivated, slow-ass co-author... but the same thing happened and I found myself doing nothing but waiting. So I decided to just take the two chapters I had written, and make make them my own. They need work. I wrote them quickly, and neither of them reads like I wanted them to when I wrote them. But now that I have freedom, I can let some air out of them and get them to flow a little better. I tried to cram as much as I could into them and while the content is exactly what I wanted, it just doesn't flow well enough. I've written 8 pages of Chapter 1 and after reading what I have so far, it flows EXACTLY the way I had hoped for. Not too bad considering Chapter 1's are something I usually don't do. I've only ever written one in my life and that was 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure I'm too lazy for a complete re-write of chapters 2 and 4, but they will be edited and molded to get that flow back that my writing typically has.

I don't write particularly well. I didn't go to college and my vocabulary sucks. I have these amazing stories in my head... but the amount of effort I have to put forth to make them sound like they weren't written by an 8th grader is really really tiring. And even then it's tough. My Chapter 1 has the feel that I'm looking for because I wrote for me. I wasn't trying to impress anyone by doing something big as I did with Chapter 2 and 4. So hopefully when it's done, I can apply some of it to what I already have and get into a nice rhythm. The way this story is going in my head, I feel like I could just write it non-stop. I'm fortunate enough that it seems to write itself in my head and then dictates to me as I type it. It's coming really naturally so I'm hoping it continues. I really hope you all enjoy it.

No comments: