We were talking at work the other day about perfect albums. Albums without one single bad song that you can play completely through. No skipping. I was asked what my top 5 perfect albums are, not including greatest hits. 3 of them I knew without hesitation, but I had to think about the other 2. So here is my list in no particular order.
1. The Rolling Stones: Exile On Main St.
This album is about as flawless as an album can get. The stones have gone through several phases in their as of now too long careers. They started with classic rock & roll, moved on to straight blues, then went to disco, then to glam, then back to blues and rock which is where they are now. Exile is their 100% blues album. It's perfect in every way. Some classic cover tunes, some classic Stones hits, ballads, blues, guitar solos, and the rest is still gold. If I could only own 1 stones album, it might very well be this one.
2. The Rolling Stones: Get Yer Ya Ya's Out
Recorded live at Madison Square Garden in 1969, their 2nd live album is my favorite live album of all time. I prefer live albums to studio albums for two reasons. 1. you get most of your favorite songs, but more importantly 2. that's what the band really sounds like. Studio recordings can fix even the worst sounding band. Technically, so can a professionally produced live album. Ger Yer Ya Ya's out isn't really produced. It's a little cleaned up, but that's it. They left in bum notes, mistakes, and mic feedback. It's the real deal. no matter what I'm doing or what my mood is, I can listen to it straight through. And then play it again.
3. AC/DC: Back In Black
This is on every "best albums ever" list I've ever seen, but I don't care. They're my all time favorite band and this is definitely their best album. Start to finish, it's flawless. Hells Bells, Shoot to Thrill, Back In black, You Shook Me All Night Long are all of of this album. Another one I can play anytime, anywhere, and no one will complain.
4. ZZ Top: Degeulo
I'm not the biggest ZZ Top fan and really I'm just a fan of their hits... except for this album. Deguelo has a hit or two on it. I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide and Cheap Sunglasses I'm sure you'd recognize from the radio. The rest of the tracks are much more obscure to the casual and extremely casual fan. But that doesn't take anything away from the total package. Just cause you've only heard of two songs doesn't make the rest of them any less good. Not one of my favorites to hear while driving (despite ZZ Top's frequent automotive subject matter), but the consistency of good songs is enough that I'll always call it a good decision if someone puts this on.
5. Weezer: Weezer (blue)
Here's one we can all relate to. Every song is perfect. There were some huge hits off this album, but when your iPod shuffles to one of the deeper tracks, you still recognize exactly who it is and what album it's from. Is it punk, grunge, rock, pop? I t doesn't matter, it's timeless. that's something that all 5 of these albums share. You can't put one in and say "wow, this is so '70's." They're all timeless.
So there you go, my top 5 complete albums of all time. I'm not saying they're the best ever or anything, but I am saying they are my personal favorites. I could pick more but this is only a list of 5. Thanks for reading.
Some (not all) Runners up:
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble: Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985
The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are you Experienced?
The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Lady Land
AC/DC: Highway To Hell
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV
The Cult: Electric
De La Soul: 3 Feet High And Rising
2/2/08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think the couple years age difference between us shows in our picks of music. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that music, some more than others, however, those probably wouldn't appear in my top 50 (with the exception of maybe back in black).
Yeah but you've never heard any of those albums. I'm sure you've heard of them, but not actually heard them. Have you heard Back In Black from start to finish?
Post a Comment