I'm not the self-centered, egotistical type who makes a big deal out of his birthday. I hate my own guts, believe me. No one thinks I suck, more than I do. That being said, I tend to let my birthday come and go and whoever remembers gets a gold star. Whoever doesn't remember... well... I don't really care. I never remember anyone's birthday so I'd be a hypocrite if I got upset that someone forgot mine.
This year I thought since I didn't do anything for my birthday last year, or the year before, or the year before, that maybe this year I would actually have a gathering, go out, have some fun. Really, I was just using my birthday as an excuse to get a group of my friends together who wouldn't otherwise be in the same place together. I invited around 12-13 people including spouses/significant others. Of course you never expect everyone to be able to make it, but when 4 people show up, it can be a little upsetting. 1 of the 4 was my wife so lets not count that. 3 people. Lauren, Bill, and his girlfriend Kristy. I didn't let it get to me, I thought "Fuck it, we're still doing this and having fun, and I'll give everyone the business another time." And that's what we did.
It meant a lot to me that those who were there, were there. But i still felt like I was missing out on what I was really looking for. All my best friends hanging out together. So i called a Do-Over. I repeated the exact same plans exactly one week later. same time, same place, and i alerted all the same people. Good idea right? you have to cast the line more than once when you fish, so why not give it another shot. 2nd time around, 2 people showed up. Dan and Jenn. Even my wife was sick and had to back out. I'm not writing this to blame anyone. I'm upset that seemingly no one gave a shit to even attempt to come out. Believe me, it hurts when you actually plan something for your birthday and 2 people show up. It means the world to me that they did. They even altered previous plans so they could be there since they missed the first time.
But what about everyone else? Fuck, do I even have friends? There were some very important people who weren't there. Twice. I'm not writing this out of spite, so I'm not going to point fingers. I'm writing it because I really do feel let down. Twice. Someone lets you down, it sucks. Someone let's you down twice, it really sucks. Half of your friends let you down twice it starts to get old real fast. All I can do now is not think about what didn't happen and who wasn't there. When I think about those who were there, it does bring a smile to my face. I can't ignore that. I can't ignore that. Thanks to those who were there. You all know who you are. Without you, I'd have been standing there alone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment